Sunday, May 18, 2008

Indifference or love?

The opposite of love is not hate it is indifference.

I read this statement in The Shack this morning. Its not the first time I've contemplated this idea.

Love teaches us to not be indifferent to God and to others. Love teaches not to be indifferent to ourselves. There is much that needs attention paid to it.

This is one of the reasons that I believe prayer matters. Talking to God gives our relationship with Him a chance to matter. It matters that I say thank you. It matters that I worship the Lord with words and songs. It matters that I seek wisdom from God. It matters that my friends are hurting or seeking and that I talk to the Lord about those things. It matters that I look back and think about the motivations behind the things I did that I don't want to do in the future.

Some days I convince myself it doesn't matter. I become indifferent. I choose not to love. That is sad and prideful.

I do not want to be indifferent and absent of love. I'm grateful God knows when I get there and that He pulls me back. He loves me back.

Where are you indifferent to God? Where are you indifferent to people? Talk to God about it and be in awe of what happens next. Or, if you don't feel like talking try just sitting with Him.

No comments: