Tuesday, May 04, 2010

I hope...

great
worthy
people can't measure
mighty
powerful
majestic
glorious
miracle worker
inspiring
good
righteous
merciful
compassionate
patient
unfailingly loving
everlasting kingdom
ruler
promise keeper
gracious
helps the fallen
lifts the load
need provider
satisfies
close
grants desires
he hears
he rescues
protects
destroys wicked

All of these in one song written by David. If these words in this Psalm are believed, I don't see how you could avoid being a worshiper of God. These descriptors questioned, believed and spoken or sung have the power to change a life. Because behind these words is the reality of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Along with describing God this song describes people. Here are some of the descriptors of those who respond in faith:

exult God
praise God's name forever
the generations tell
meditation happens
stories of God are told
songs are sung
glorious Kingdom of God described
God's mightiness is spoken about
God is seen with hopeful eyes
He is called

At the end David says: "I will praise the Lord, and may everyone on earth bless his holy name forever and ever."

I can relate to David's desire. Worshiping God freely, passionately, with faith that every word can be believed even when my circumstances make them a challenge to believe has changed me.

When I see people holding back, I have compassion for them. I don't mean physically holding back. I mean holding their hearts back. I long for them to let go and believe.

I don't know what God is up to with this invitation to worship Him for 30 days straight at my church. But I hope that trusting God will be a whole lot easier for those who participate. I hope they will tell their stories. I hope...

Psalm 145

1 comment:

Zuzka said...

This is a great post. It is wonderful to realize all the things God is and to see it so clearly even from just one psalm. Recently whenever I read any psalm it fills me so much joy as I focus on the goodness of God and understand that the natural reaction to it is just worshiping Him. Lifestyle of worship is the best one can live.