Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Year in Review

Barna Research Group - Year in Review Perspective - 2009

"Our studies this year among pastors showed that almost nine out of ten senior pastors of Protestant churches asserted that spiritual immaturity is one of the most serious problems facing the Church. Yet relatively few of those pastors believe that such immaturity is reflected in their church. Few pastors have gone so far as to give their congregants a specific, written statement of how they define spiritual maturity, how it might be measured, the strategy for facilitating such maturity, or what scriptural passages are most helpful in describing and fostering maturity. Those pastors who made any attempt to measure maturity were more likely to gauge depth on the basis of participation in programs than to evaluate people's spiritual understanding or any type of transformational fruit in their lives. Overall, less than one out of every ten pastors said they were completely satisfied with how they assess the spiritual condition of their congregation... our research found that a majority of church going adults are uncertain as to what their church would define as a 'healthy, spiritually mature follower of Christ and they were no more likely to have personally developed a clear notion of such a life."



"Houston, we have a problem!!!!"

This is a problem named, that I care deeply about. I watch. I wait. I pray. God has given me a few ways to engage with others who share my heart...my concerns...my hopes. I'm grateful for this. I have no idea where this will lead me. But I do know that where ever it leads, it will not be easy.

3 comments:

Brent said...

I can assure you that when pastors are attuned to spiritual immaturity in those they are responsible for shepherding (and my definition is clear, as you'll hear in my sermon on Sunday, as to what maturity looks like)...well...let's just say that message isn't recieved well by anyone. Not those it pertains to. Not those who serve them. Not those who lead them.

Cheri said...

Brent,

I look forward to your sermon on Sunday!

Mike Messerli said...

me too, but I'll be gone, Brent. I'll listen online. I'm praying for you.