Friday, November 30, 2007

Giving Thanks

Yesterday, at bible study, we wrapped up our fall study on women in the Old Testament who had walked from fear to faith. We did this by taking turns telling each other our own stories of walking from fear to faith. We were each allowed five minutes to share. In all my years of bible study I don't think I've had the opportunity to participate in that kind of sharing. It was great to hear what God is doing now or had done in the past to cause each one of us to believe that it is possible to crossover from fear to faith in God.

To see how God is as work in each life is so humbling. God is so big, so powerful, so personal. It doesn't take long to meditate on those truths before I feel ridiculous for not checking in with Him on everything.

After a morning like that it's not hard to take the advice of the psalmist who wrote in Psalm 136:

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good.
His love endures forever.

I think the most lasting insight I received from these last few weeks of bible study is this. I have discovered another reason why quiet time with God is so important. It is our chance to sit quietly and ask God to show us what part of our lives we are feeling anxious about. Once we identify the fear we are dealing with, we can pray and ask God for what we need to overcome that fear so we can walk in faith. I bet that is one of God's favorite prayers to answer! I know its one of my favorite answers to receive!

May the peace of God rule in each of our hearts today! Amen.

No comments: