Friday, January 22, 2010

Do not stifle...

SCRIPTURE REFLECTION: “Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. Do not stifle the Holy Spirit.” 1 Thes. 5:17-19 NLT

Of all the scriptures my grandparents could have chosen to put in the front of the bible they gave me on my 17th birthday, this is the one.

I don't think it is to big of a stretch to assume this is who they hoped I would be.

This recent focus on being grateful has helped me to see how I have stifled the Holy Spirit in the past. This is yet another example of why it is so important to pay attention when you believe God is asking you to obey a command in scripture. Until you obey the command, by and through God's grace, you will not know the benefits of obedience. It's all theory without obedience.

But once your willingness to and your love for God unites with God's expectations of how He invites us to live; Then you will truly know a changing heart. A heart that is being conformed to the likeness of God. It happens in layers, it happens over time. But just like scriptures says that it will happen. It happens.

Thank goodness for all the people in my life who have said out loud these words are true. Their faith through actions and words have helped me risk believing and walking by faith too. To my grandparents, I don't think it was an accident that you wrote those verses in my bible. Thank you. May I stifle the Spirit less and less. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't stop posting such stories. I love to read articles like this. BTW add some pics :)