Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Why do we go to church?

I'm taking a class called Empowering the People of God.

One of my assignments has been to write about my journey of discovering what it is to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.

I've done timelines before of significant spiritual markers or events in my walk with the Lord but this time I was struck by something new. While the Lord is always central, I was amazed by the timing of the particular people who have arrived in particular stages of my journey. Those with genuine faith in the Lord and a love for Him and for me have drawn me into their lives. I have gained so much from my time with each one of them. For some, that has been brief encounters for others we have a long history together. It made me so grateful that I have never questioned the value of being an active part of the body of Christ. Almost every mentor and spiritual friend I've had has come from my local church family.

Discipleship is not about just passing on what you know. Its about passing on a relationship through a relationship. At least that has been my experience.

So, thanks for the assignment Dr. Rexroat! May God continue to bring into my journey those who can help me put my faith in Christ. May I be used by the Lord to invite others to do the same.

1 comment:

Joye said...

"Discipleship is not about just passing on what you know. Its about passing on a relationship through a relationship." Very well said. Without the relationship, it IS just knowledge without involving the heart. Thanks.