Friday, July 23, 2010

Live. Serve. Change Everything

At Crossroads Bible Church, I participated in Mid School Mission week. We had more than 50 kids plus their leaders going to a handful of locations throughout Dallas and Ft. Worth. The teams served in different ways. My group spent most of our time at a food bank that covers 13 counties in North Texas and also did projects at the church property.

First of all, I owe all of our Mid School Kids an apology. I underestimated them by a long shot!

When I first got wind that Charlie was planning on doing this my first thought was cool! My next thought was who on earth has programs where they are willing and interested in allowing Mid School kids to come serve.

I wanted to help, but it wasn't until mid June that I realized I was going to be able to.

I had coffee with Charlie to ask some questions and just listen to what he had put together! It was an inspiring conversation. He had no doubts about what the kids were capable of doing.

The team of parents and youth that stepped up and helped with this were awesome! A very enjoyable team to be a part of!

Over and over again, I heard leaders saying my kids are really getting along well and working well together. Common purpose is a great bonding agent.

Charlie (our Mid School Director) spent some time conversing with and then teaching to the kids in the evenings. He is both a good listener and a good teacher. It's hard to know how much difference those times will make in the kids lives. So, for any parents reading this... please send Charlie an email or have a conversation with him about what you notice has changed in your kid's perspectives. Some of the comments they were making during the large group conversations were very very good thoughts!

Last but not least, a shout out needs to go to North Texas Food Bank. I have tons of respect for what they are doing and for how they are doing it. If you are looking for a way to serve with a group of friends or a corporate event, don't even hesitate to contact them. Mike, Doris, Mario and Brandon were excellent teachers and helped us accomplish a lot. A conservative estimate of how many meals got put together by CBC kids is 35,000. Seriously! And the kids got that it was a big deal and were amazed by how much could be accomplished by pulling together.

As kids were leaving, one young lady with the biggest smile on her face said, "Hey Charlie, when I came here I didn't know anybody in the 6th grade. Now I know EVERYBODY!" Joy.

I haven't been as tired as I got in a very long time. But I also know that every ounce of energy expended was worth it! God provided strength, energy and abundant love for the kids and the events of each day!

If you were tempted to get involved this year but for whatever reason were not able to. Don't even hesitate to get involved next year!!!!

To those of you who prayed for me and for the other leaders, kids and the lives of people we touched...THANK YOU!!! AMEN. (mm hmmmm)

1 comment:

Heidi Day said...

Thank you for this glimpse into their week. I'm grateful that you volunteered and that it was all that I'd hoped.